REFLECTIVE JOURNAL- WEEK 16

As I look back on this semester, I have learned a number of lessons regarding leadership in nursing. Leadership is not something that comes easily- you must form positive connections with those you are leading and show them what their full potential can look like by being a good example yourself. There are many attributes that comprise an excellent leader. Throughout our discussions and assignments in this class, we explored concepts and theories of leadership as well as management and power as a foundation for nursing organizations. People will follow a competent person who has the knowledge needed in order to complete the mission successfully. Leaders ensure that individuals know their purpose and encourage and help them to achieve that purpose. In order to have a successful organization in healthcare, you need to assess needs and implement change effectively as this environment is always changing. Evaluating effectiveness of cost and quality of care with consideration of budgetary constraints was hard for me to understand because I haven’t studied much about the accounting behind budgeting to this degree. I find it hilarious that I heard recently at my hospital that those at the top of the company were complaining about how much they had to pay nurses in overtime, WHEN THEY REQUIRE AND MAKE US WORK OVERTIME THAT WE DON’T WANT TO WORK IN THE FIRST PLACE.

We also learned that analyzing policies and procedures used in management of a nursing unit is important because it helps in providing optimum care. In the operating room, we have policies that are in place to keep patients safe- this includes triple checking medications and specimens sent to the lab or pathology. Principles of risk management and assisting employees with special needs is important because in the healthcare field it’s easy to get hurt if you are not careful. I said before, I work in the OR and there are many risks involved in surgery. Pre-operative time-outs are one way to decrease this risk significantly and prevent wrong-site surgeries.

Identify leadership and management competencies which contribute to optimal organization climate and culture. Some of these include: Questions and challenges the status-quo on diversity. Takes innovative approaches to build, support and maintain a diverse workforce. Communicates team objectives and accomplishments both inside and outside the team. Ensures cross-team collaboration for organizational effectiveness. Builds rapport and ensures others are informed. Works to resolve obstacles outside of the team’s direct influence. Shares resources to solve mutual problems. Models behaviors that maximize group participation by consulting, listening and communicating clearly. Builds team cohesiveness. Actively builds relationships with team.
My individual nurse philosophy related to leadership and management is to show empathy and support to every single individual. I want to be the kind of leader that inspires and encourages others through honesty, good communication and GRIT. Grit means hard-work- working alongside the team and being at their level. Even if you have good ideas and want to implement change, you cannot do this without having a positive relationship with those you are leading. This is my very last semseter at Utah Valley University and I am beyond grateful for the education, excellent teachers who became my role models, and oppertunities I was given throughout these last 7 years. I accomplished my dreams of becoming a Registered Nurse! Finishing my Bachelors in Nursing has always been a goal of mine as well, and I am so excited for what the future holds. 

“No matter how well you apply the art of leadership, no matter how strong your unit or how high the moral of your men, if your leadership is not directed completely toward the mission, your leadership has failed.” -Curtis E. LaMay