Reflective Journal 3

1. What did you actually learned from the unit.

It was interesting to learn about the interview process including how to conduct an effective interview, and what questions to consider while interviewing. It is essential that a unit is equipped with sufficient staff who are competent so I thought it was interesting to learn about this process. I was able to create five Behavioral-Based Interview Questions I would use (as the nurse leader). I actually thought about how I would respond to each of these questions myself if I was being asked (which made me reflect on my nursing career so far). 

2. Discuss your feelings/experiences from the team activities? Did it change your opinion on the subject? If so, how? If not, why? For this weeks team-building activity, we put together a list of questions to ask a person who conducts job interviews about the actual process of interviewing. I loved how each team member was able to come up with different questions I wouldn’t have thought of asking. Multiple minds are better than one that’s for sure. We had a case study where we were presented two different candidates who were interviewing for the job of department manager. It was interesting to be on the other side of the interview and actually determine who qualified most for the job. 

3. How you will utilize the information learned in your nursing practice. I was able to read an article discussing culture and ethics in healthcare. This helped me to reflect on my own cultural competence in nursing. Through learning about the interview process this gave me an in-depth perspective on what it means to be a qualified candidate. I want to encompass all of the positive qualities myself that I would look for if I was the one hiring a nurse. I need to be always willing to challenge myself so that I can become more competent and experienced in my skills and abilities as a nurse.